RGK Center Lecture Series
2013 Veterans Day Panel
In recognition of Veterans Day 2013, Volunteers of America and the RGK Center at the LBJ School of Public Affairs hosted a panel discussion on the many challenges facing America’s veterans, especially those returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Panelists also discussed ideas for building a strong framework of support to help military men and women successfully return to civilian life. Read more about the community event here.
Critical Issues in Nonprofit Leadership
Controversy, Culture & Cooperation: The Boy Scouts of America's Decision to Diversify Membership
Willie Iles, VP of Gov't. Relations of Boy Scouts of America
September 23rd, 2013 at 12:15pm in Bass Lecture Hall
- Willie Iles, VP of Government Relations for the Boy Scouts of America speaks on how to move a major decision through an established organization with stakeholders in a complex and controversial media environment.
Review of the event here.
Inside the Beltway: Federal Policy and the Nonprofit Sector
M. Todd Tuten, Sr. Policy Analyst of Patton Boggs in D.C.
October 21st, 2013 at 6pm in Bass Lecture Hall
- Senior Policy Analyst Todd M. Tuten will discuss how the government shutdown has affected the nonprofit sector and what the future of the sector looks like at a federal level. Todd Tuten’s extensive congressional and private-sector experience includes development and implementation of substantive policies and strategies on a broad range of legislative and regulatory matters, with a particular focus on health care. Mr. Tuten is actively engaged in the debate on proposals to strengthen Medicare, Medicaid and the nation’s health care system. He works closely with congressional leaders, senior agency officials and key advocates to advance clients’ objectives in the context of related legislation, including passage and implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
Refreshments and hors d'œuvres will be provided. We look forward to seeing you and hearing your questions in a Q and A segment.
Review of the event here.
Frances Moody Newman Distinguished Lecture Series
The Frances Moody Newman Distinguished Lecture Series promotes philanthropy, community service, and volunteerism by inviting philanthropic leaders to The University of Texas at Austin to discuss how their personal values, beliefs, and experiences shape the mission and method of their giving.
The Moody Foundation of Galveston was created for the perpetual benefit of present and future generations of Texans by William Lewis Moody, Jr. and his wife, Libby Shearn Moody.
The RGK Center for Philanthropy and Community Service initiated this lecture series to explore how personal motivations and experiences inspire giving. The lecture series uses the theme of My Values, My Philanthropy to provide a public forum for discussing how individual values shape the philanthropic and nonprofit landscape.
- David La Piana, founder and President La Piana Consulting
- Blake Mycoskie, founder and Chief Shoe Giver of TOMS Shoes
- Craig Newmark, founder of Craigslist.org
- Linda Biehl, co-founder of the Amy Biehl Foundation
Global Civil Society Lecture Series
Hosted by RGK Center Professor Joshua Busby, the Global Civil Society Speaker Series launched in spring 2007 to showcase individuals with practical experience and timely research in the world of international NGOs, philanthropy and advocacy.
- Randall Kempner, Executive Director of the Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
- Nina Munk, author of The Idealist and journalist from Forbes and Fortune
- Sam Daley-Harris, CEO and founder of the Center for Citizen Empowerment and Transformation
- Sue Lieberman, Deputy Director, International Environment Policy, The Pew Charitable Trusts
- Juan Sheenan, Honduras Country Director, Catholic Relief Services
- Patrick Meier, Director of Crisis Mapping, Ushahidi
- Paul Rice, President and CEO of Fair Trade USA
- Susan Comfort, VP of Philanthropy at KaBOOM!
- Steve Hollingworth, COO of CARE
- Joe Cerell, Head of the Gates Foundation's Global Health Policy & Advocacy Unit
- Raj Kumar, President of Devex
- David Lane, President and CEO of ONE
- Matt Flannery, co-founder and CEO of Kiva.org
- Sonal Shah, member of Google.org's Global Development Team
- Garry Jenkins, Professor of Law at The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law
- David Gartner, Policy Director, Global AIDS Alliance
- Lisa Jordan, Deputy Director, Ford Foundation